[10 MINUTE READ]
Washing your face might seem simple, but when you have sensitive skin it can be the first battle you face each morning! Choosing the right face wash for your sensitive skin can be a minefield and Dermatologists say that cleansing your face might, in fact, be the most important step of all!
This is even truer if you suffer from sensitive red skin, sensitive skin with acne or sensitive, dry skin.
Using the wrong cleanser can actually create inflammation or potentially damage your skin barrier further, which is not something you need when your skin is already sensitive and inflamed!
Dermatologists recommend looking for the following anti-inflammatory ingredients in a face wash; such as aloe vera, oats, honey and calamine.
Finding the right face wash for sensitive skin can be a challenge so we have listed our top 10 favourites depending on your sensitive skin type. Plus, at the end of the article, we have included some additional face washing tips to help you on your way to improving your sensitive skin.
1. Jordan Samuel Skin The After Show Treatment Cleanser for Sensitive Skin – If you are more of a fan of light gel textures or looking for a face wash for sensitive-combination skin, then this is the one for you! This cult face wash is truly amazing! The luxurious gel-to-oil formula melts away makeup and other impurities in the most gentle way; with a mix of ale leaf, chamomile, jojoba and grape seed. We love that it also comes in a mini size, which is so perfect for travel or to throw in your gym bag.
2. By Terry Nutri-Pure Comforting Balm Cleanser – This is a firm favourite at Carolina GMX, especially for those sensitive skin types that suffer from redness or dry, sensitive skin. Check out this article where we talk in more detail about this baby! Not only is it a super creamy texture that hydrates the skin deeply, but, it is great if you want a face wash that also removes makeup at the same time as cleansing your skin. A great all-rounder with a lovely rose scent that isn’t too overpowering.
3. The Inkey List Oat Cleansing Balm – Another favourite; this one is a great face wash/cleansing balm for winter or for dry, sensitive skin as it is lovely, thick and comforting. If you are interested in a more detailed review of this product, you can find it here (where we review the whole Inkey List range!). Again, much like the By Terry Nutri-Pure Comforting Balm Cleanser, the balm texture really nourishes the skin so it's perfect for when your skin is acting up!
4. La Roche Posay cleanser Effaclar Hydrating Cleansing Cream – This is the face wash to use if you suffer from sensitive skin with acne, which is incredibly common but not often discussed. When it comes to spots and sensitivity this innovative texture helps support your skin by leaving it soothed, but also rebalanced, refreshed and clean; all very important when you suffer from acne and sensitivity.
5. Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser – For a simple, soothing face wash look no further than Avene’s Extremely Gentle Cleanser. This cleanser was developed for irritated, sensitive skin, whether the sensitivity is caused by pollution, climate, dryness or skin conditions. The super-mild texture helps to reduce reactivity in the skin and soothe in the most gentle way possible.
6. Skinceuticals Gentle Cleansing Cream – This face wash got its fame for being used on post-procedure skin that tends to be highly inflamed, often red and extremely sensitive. The soothing blend of Allantoin, Glycerin and Orange oil helps to cleanse the skin and keep it refreshed and hydrated, which is exactly what you need when your skin is acting up!
7. Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser – An old classic, with good reason! This is a good face wash for sensitive skin if you are looking for a gel/cream texture that really helps combat redness and inflammation in your skin. It uses a mix of cucumber and lavender to provide a cooling effect on the skin, calming any sensitive red skin and helping to balance the PH levels.
8. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser – This cult favourite makeup remover and face wash hybrid is a great low-maintenance face wash that does it all! With a concoction of soy proteins, rosewater and cucumber to leave even the most sensitive skin feeling balanced and nourished, this product is particularly good if you are looking for a face wash that doesn't make your skin feel oily.
9. Gallinee Prebiotic Foaming Facial Cleanser – A great, gentle face wash if you are working on clearing up your skin, as well as suffering from any kind of sensitivity. This natural cleanser (98% natural origin ingredients!) helps support your skin's good bacteria and adjusts the PH levels to create your most healthy skin.
10. Clinique Redness Solutions Soothing Cleanser – If redness is your main concern when it comes to sensitivity, this one might be what you are looking for. The formula really tasks itself on calming redness and irritation, without drying out the skin. Like Gallinee’s cleanser, this product uses probiotic technology to make sure you see an immediate improvement in the appearance of redness, which it also helps to reduce over time through continued use.
Final Face Wash Tips:
Consider Water Temperature - While this might not be something you think about a great deal, the temperature at which you wash your face can have a big impact on sensitivity, especially if your skin is prone to redness! Aim to use water that is warm to cool in temperature, without being on either end of the spectrum. Water that is too hot or cold can strip your skin and irritate, causing additional dryness.
Use Your Hands - With such an array of beauty cleansing gadgets and gizmos these days, washing your face without a mix of pulsating, rotating and vibrating might seem odd! However, for those of you with sensitive skin of any kind – whether it is sensitive-combo, sensitive-acne-prone, sensitive-redness or sensitive with dryness, just try to keep it simple.
Use your hands, and aim to avoid using harsh towels, cleansing brushes, and so on. If you like to use a muslin cloth and you think your skin can handle it, you can use that as a face scrub once or twice a week.
Wash Your Face Once A Day (Only!) - Leading on from the last point, cleansing delicate skin types is all about keeping things minimal. Try switching to only cleansing once a day; in the evening. Washing your face is obviously important in removing the pollutants, dirt and makeup from the day, but it is possible that you might be overdoing it. By restricting cleansing to just once a day, you allow your skin to repair on its own, with the support of great, effective products.
We hope you enjoyed reading. If you fancy giving any of our face wash favourites a go, let us know by posting a pic of the products with the #TryingwithCarolinaGMX and tag us @carolinagmx.
In the meantime, if you are interested in checking out some more reviews, you can find them here.
Every brand and product featured on Carolina GMX make our editorial pages once a minimum of 70% of our sensitive-skin testers consider it worthy!
If you are interested in checking out some of our other sensitive skin posts you can find the latest here.
WHERE — Caernarfon
PHOTOGRAPHY — Robert Colclough
THOUGHTS BY— Carolina G-M
EDITED BY— Gabriela Godinho-Moxon
AS ALWAYS ALL OPINIONS ARE OUR OWN
*AFFILIATE LINKS INCLUDED ON THIS PAGE